The practice became even more poignant, as I had my own diagnosis of breast cancer. I experienced firsthand, the need for support, comfort and having someone to listen to me. Yoga and the incredible community of people that rallied around me got me through three surgeries, radiation and the fear of reoccurence. To this day, I continue to teach to cancer patients. Further training in Prenatal Yoga and Restorative Yoga gave me a broader background in therapeutics. I’ve taught with these three populations/disciplines for the past 12 years. I began to offer classes and workshops for students with conditions such as MS, Parkinson’s, Stroke, chronic pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, and emotional and mental conditions.
In May 2018, I graduated and earned my Yoga Therapy certification from IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists). The IAYT certified training programs are 800 hours of training, equivalent to a Masters of Science at some schools. I choose Inner Peace Yoga Therapy for their reputation in providing a solid education in diseases and conditions, emotional issues, functional yoga, yoga philosophy, and real world experience in their mentorship program.
My interest in Chronic Pain was piqued by the excellent guidance from Neil Pearson, faculty member of Inner Peace Yoga Therapy, physiotherapist and yoga therapist. His Pain Care Yoga program (www.Lifeisnow.ca) is one of the leading programs to combine pain knowledge and yoga. Their First 5 Steps are Free guide is an excellent resource for people with pain. I have completed Neil’s intensive training with certification as a Pain Care Specialist. This part of my journey has taken me to study with some of the leading pain researchers in the world like Lorimer Moseley, David Butler, Tasha Stanton, Fadel Zeidan, Sat Bir Khalsa and healthcare practitioners who combine the western model of healthcare with eastern models, like Lonnie Zeltzer, Sonu Haikerwal, Marlysa Sullivan, Tracy Jackson, Susie Gronski, Matthew Taylor and Richard Miller.
Now armed with the useful knowledge of how pain works, my vast yoga toolbox, and my own desire to help my community, this journey that began with my parent’s influence, is coming to fruition. I look forward to how I can help others come back to their sense of well-being and joyful living.
- Certified Yoga Therapist completed in May 2018 as accredited by the IAYT (C-IAYT)*
- Pain Care Specialist (Advanced Pain Care Yoga Certification)
- 500 hour e-RYT (Yoga Alliance certification, experienced yoga teacher)
- PYT (Prenatal Yoga Teacher – Yoga Alliance certification)
- Restorative Yoga Teacher (certified by Jillian Pransky)
- Laughter Yoga Leader (certified by Dr. Kataria School of Laugher Yogal)
- Bachelor’s of Arts, Elizabethtown College
- Masters of Business Administration, St. Joseph’s University
* The yoga therapy components of my teaching are based on my C-IAYT credential not derived from my status as an RYT with Yoga Alliance Registry.
Teachers and Influences
- World’s leading Pain & Yoga Researchers – Lorimer Moseley, David Butler, Tasha Stanton, Fadel Zeidan, Sat Bir Khalsa, Bessel Van der Kolk
- Healthcare Practiioners – Lonnie Zeltzer, Sonu Haikerwal, Marlysa Sullivan, Tracy Jackson, Susie Gronski, Matthew Taylor and Richard Miller, Timothy McCall
- Inner Peace Faculty – Maria Mendola, Amy Weintraub, Nischala Joy Devi, Durga Lee, Neil Pearson, Antonio Sausys, Laura Kupperman, Dr. Marc Halpern, Shanti Shanti Kaur Khalsa, Jai Dev Singh, and Chinnamasta Stiles.
- Other Key Teachers and Influences – Jillian Pransky, Pema Chodron, Erich Schiffman, Doug Keller, Judith Hanson Lasater, Carolyn Myss, Donna Farhi, Stephen Cope, Marshall Rosenberg, Gurmukh, Mukunda Stiles, Bo Forbes, Leslie Kaminoff, Nikki Robinson